Tuesday, September 16, 2008

~Night~

This is a book that I think all people should read to understand some of what was happening during the Holocaust. This was an amazing book that made me really think about our freedom in a new light and understand their pain. Some people might say that this book was not that bad but whoever say that has been desensitised by what is acceptable in the media now days. The really sad thing is that all this we like to think is just in the past, when every day things similar to what is in this book are happening lots of other place all over the world.
Some how I managed not to cry through the whole book. I then got to the Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance speech of the author's at the end. This is one of my favorite quotes from it:
"one person of integrity, can make a difference, a difference of life and death.As long as one dissident is in prison, our freedom will not be true. As long as one child is hungry, our life will be filled with anguish and shame. What all these victims need above all is to know that they are not alone; that we are not forgetting them, that when their voices are stifled we shall lend them ours, that while their freedom depends on ours, the quality of our freedom depends on theirs."
~by Elie Wiesel in Oslo on December 10, 1986

How much do we complain about our lives when there are people on other sides of the world that are treated like cattle.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

I don't cry easily, but I didn't even make it through the Preface before I started blubbering when I read Night. Have I told you about the book I'm reading now? Erin told me about it when I told her how I like to read sad, depressing books about the Holocaust. It's called The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's another one of those books where you have to take breaks every so often. It's narrated by Death.

Katie said...

This sounds like a great book and I needed something to read. BTW- I never could find those other books at the library that you recommended last time you were over. Do they have them at the library- I looked online to put them on hold- but could not find them.