Sunday, November 16, 2008

200 plus pages more

'Testament of youth' By Vera Brittain.
I didn't think I was going to post tonight but then my dad told me that I should just 'write it all out'.
I'm in the process of reading a 600 page book about world war I. It starts out as easy reading for the first 270 pages then you start hitting the hard stuff. I just finished reading about the death of yet another good friend of Vera's, who is the main character and author of the book. Yes, this is an auto biography, which makes it even harder to read this book. This women lost first her fiance,Roland, then her best friends,Geoffrey and Victor. I know that it is going to get worse because her brother is going to die next. I think the worst thing so far is when they are burying Victor, her brother couldn't get leave to say goodbye and he writes Vera saying,"We started alone, dear child, and here we are alone again; you find me changed, I expect, more than I find you; that is perhaps the way of Life. But we share a memory which is worth all the rest of the world, and the sun of that memory never sets."
Her brother, Victor and Roland where as everyone called them the three musketeers and her brother had to watch his best friends die and he was completely alone before the time came when he left the world. Vera lost everything that mattered to her and yet she still endured and went back to serve all the men in the army who needed her. I don't know if I could do that.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hey little girl! It sounds like a really good book. Have you read "The book thief"? It too is a true story of a little girl growing up in Nazi Germany. Really good, I cried! Hope all is well with you. I hope to come and visit December 9th through the 11th. Maybe you,me,Maliea,Lyd,and your mom can all go for a girls lunch! Let me know. I love ya!

Anonymous said...

Sounds very sad! Have a great day Chaiya!