Monday, March 31, 2008

Blankies

This picture has nothing to do with what I'm going to post I'm just trying something on my computer that I didn't think would work.
I am posting on blankies and how you should never try to take anything like it away from a child.
The other day we were at Target. Everyone was in the car and I was just starting to put Thayne in when a man who was just getting out of his car next to us spoke. " I used to have a blanket like that." Me,who likes talking to strangers I will most likely never see again told the man that Thayne is our little 'Linus'.
He then started to tell me about his blanket and how his parents took it from him because he was getting to old to have it. I just felt so sad for him because Even though he had had it till he was almost 10 and it was given him when he was 2 it is still a horribly sad. And it wasn't like he took it every where with him, his parents just though that he was to old for it.When you have had something that long it is not just a comfort thing, it is an Identity thing. I know that we joke about how Thayne is going to have to get a new blankie because the other two are get more transparent as the days go by. We have tried that before. That is why there are two of them, He just adds it to the others and carries all of them around. You can't rip a kids identity from them. It'll come down to where he forgets it when we go to church one day and he won't notice till we get back. Or something of the sort where he grows out of the blankies. So just a shout out to all those parents 'cough, cough' who don't like their kids carrying things around that may look unsightly or unclean. Let the kid have it! don't hide it in the pantry... I mean don't take it away from them they need that and it is better for them to grow naturally out of it then ripping some thing important to them away.
Mom, this is not to you. I just like teasing you. -Chy

1 comment:

Ninny said...

Matt and I still have our baby blankies! I agree with you completely. I always wanted my kids to love a blankie but none of them have.